Thursday, July 24, 2008

San Francisco

In June, Lichar had a conference in San Francisco, so of course I tagged along. :) We spent a week enjoying the city.


Our first few days there, they set record lows. It was COLD and windy!!! Then the second half of the week was beautiful!!! Hot, sunny and surprisingly clear for some great shots of the bridge. That is why we are bundled up in some pictures and wearing shorts in others.

For those of you from Amarillo, the "hills" are what we call mountains!! hehe We got plenty of exercise while we were there. As you can tell, I was less than excited about climbing this one. It was so steep there were actually steps on the side walk.


Abby, this one is for you! This was the first Swenson's. Good ice cream, but a little disappointing...all the ice cream buckets had lids, so you couldn't see what you were choosing. It is so much more fun to see all the different flavors!


Seals sunning on the docks at Fisherman's Wharf.


Of course we stopped by the "crookedest street," this block of Lombard Street.


We also decided to take a "short" walk through Golden Gate park. Our map didn't show the full size of the park. So 50 blocks later, we were finally out of the park. At the end of the park is the ocean, so if you see us in the slide show below, we look very excited to see the ocean because that meant we were out of the park. (plus the water was freezing!)


Thursday we took a tour of Alcatraz. Great tour if you ever get the chance. They have an audio tour which is really awesome. It allows you to go through at your own pace and has comments and narration from many different people including former inmates and guards.


Lichar in cell



On Friday we rented bikes and biked across the bridge. We had a great time. We biked into Sausalito (small town on the other side of the bridge) to have lunch.


Sad that they have to have these signs...but nice to know there is still hope. :)


We even biked to Muir woods to see a few redwood trees. Not the famous giant ones, but still a nice park. (even though the climb there almost killed us!) Even in all my years of running, I don't think my legs have ever hurt as bad as they did that night...although surprisingly the next day we were ok!


Our last day there we decided to chill and spend some time with our friend Sarah (who we stayed with for a few days) Here we are climbing the fire escape to lay on the roof of her building.


Alyssa and Sarah catching some rays. Notice the nice view of the bay and bridge in the background.


Here are some more photos of our trip! If you want to see the captions, drag your mouse over the picture.

3 comments:

Abby said...

I love the pictures and I am so glad that you went to Swensons! I so loved that place in college. Ice cream is always my favorite form of calcium!!

I also loved the all the pictures. I especially loved the one of you on the roof!! Nothing like laying out on the roof--looking pretty good! :)

Anonymous said...

WOW! What a fun trip! Someday I would love to visit there. I bet Alcatraz was so cool! Tell Lichar hey! Take care...

Pretty Girl~ said...

Hey I added you to my blog. Our blog is http://thepopeandlovatofamily.blogspot.com/

Great pictures!!