Wednesday, March 4, 2009

"A little classroom mishap"

That was what the text said from my co-worker on Monday..."Call me when you get a chance, we've had a classroom mishap." I knew it had to be bad if she was actually calling me AND telling me to call her back in the middle of the day.

Turns out a filter in a pipe (that resides in my storage closet) broke and flooded 2 1/2 rooms. My room had 2-3 inches of water in it, so anything on the floor was ruined.

I went by to assess the damage and this is what my room looked like. (There used to be blue carpet here...)


My co-workers had so graciously separated my stuff into piles--"this is toast," "you might be able to salvage this if you love it enough," and "this stayed dry."

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING in my room was out in the hall.


It was a little disheartening to see all the things that were ruined as I dumped them in the trash...I filled 2 big trash buckets just while I was there. I know all you teachers out there will understand...I'm not sure if I'm more upset about the stuff I bought or the stuff I spent hours working on that really can't be replaced.

I'm just glad I'm on maternity leave and didn't have to deal with all of the moving. Even more than that, I'm glad I took more than 6 weeks off. My first day back would have been the Monday that my room flooded...I'm thinking I wouldn't have responded as calmly as I did still being off. ;)

On a positive note, now I get my room painted and new carpet!

5 comments:

Abby said...

Oh no. I am so sorry. If you need some coloring and cutting done, we are very talented.

Emily said...

Oh man that stinks...I know just how sad that would be. I mean as a teacher I am sure I have way to much stuff...but I would die to have to throw some away. I am heart broken for you. Also I love the positive out look.

Christy said...

So sorry! I hope the new carpet and paint can help it out a little. I'm really glad you weren't there that day.

The Padilla Family said...

I am sure you have changed it quite a bit since we put it together, but that room is near and dear to my heart! :) I am so sad for you! Sorry...
Thank goodness that you weren't back! :( Make sure to send updated pics as progress is made when you go back!

Alyssa said...

Thanks girls, I knew all my teacher friends would appreciate the loss! All my bulletin board stuff was on the floor. :( Although I lost A LOT, I think considering how much water was in there I was fortunate not to lose more.