Sunday, April 10, 2011

Visiting Gmom

I've been putting off this post for a long time because...well, it just plain makes me sad.  It's hard to type with tears in your eyes, but here it goes...


We were planning to take a trip up to Amarillo as soon as Mailee could travel to visit my sweet grandmother.  She was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer shortly after Christmas and could not travel. We really wanted her to meet Mailee.

We had a beautifully planned trip where Ashley and I flew to Ama on one weekend so she could attend a friend's wedding.  I was going to stay the week and then Lichar would come so we could all fly home together.  This way no one missed a week of work and I didn't have to fly alone with the kids.

Then Southwest Airlines had to ruin it all by going and ripping a 4 foot hole in one of their planes the day before our flight!  I'm not a fan of holes in the planes on which I fly, so it was hard to be mad that they canceled EVERY flight out on the day we were leaving.  But, I was a little mad.  ;)

So, I decided to be brave and make the trek with a 2 year old and a 1 month old all by myself.  It would have been nice if Southwest would at least let me book one of the flights that stopped in Dallas but didn't change plans, but NOOOO, they made this trip extra fun for me!

So I prepped Kaiden by telling him he could be a BIG boy and take his own backpack on the airplane (one less thing for me to carry!)  He was so proud!


Then I made sure I could carry both kids if necessary. Mailee in the sling, Kaiden on my hip, and the backpack on my back.  I was starting to feel more like a pack mule!  (this was actually a picture we took on another flight...but you get the idea!)

Well, as usual, I worried a lot for no apparent reason.  Kaiden was super excited to be on an airplane.  The excitement was bubbling out of him!


Doesn't he look so cute (and little) in the seats?

And Mailee?  She wasn't as thrilled, but equally well behaved for her first ever flight!  Since it was just me, I had to do the "self photo" of her hanging out in the sling.

We changed planes in Dallas without any trouble (albeit ever so slowly!)  Kaiden walked to our new gate and Mailee rode in her sling.  As luck would have it, I ran into one of my favorite high school teachers, Mrs. Pyrtle, at our gate!  She was also traveling to Ama.  She wasn't supposed to have to change planes, but they made them get off the plane anyway for some reason.  I am glad, because I would not have seen her otherwise!  Plus, she was able to board first and saved us a seat on the second row!!!  Someone to help out on the second leg of our journey, whew!

After the epic journey, we had some great time with family!  Mailee meeting Gmom.

K and Gigi had a great time playing the piano!



Uncle Buck made sure Mailee got to see the show too!

Mailee and Gigi

Mailee, Kaiden and Gigi

"Inna hold it!"

Who knew Amarillo has a rockin play ground?!?  We had a blast!





"Roooooaaarrrrr"

GranSan and Mailee watching everyone play.

Great smiles!
More on our other Amarillo excursions in a later blog....

Chillin with Gmom.

Kaiden playing with Deeogee.

Always giving his sister lots of kisses!

You can tell we were with Gigi...Mailee has a bow in her hair.  :)

We had a play date with Kage.  The boys enjoyed story time with Poppy.


And Mailee enjoyed her nap time with Poppy.

We also got to visit with some of Mommy's friends--Luke and Christy.

I know I should expect wind in Amarillo, but I was still disappointed to see the flags straight out once again on the way to the airport.  That just means bumpy flights and a sick mommy.  I also love the dust you can see on the horizon! 

I thought our flight out (with Daddy) would be less stressful than the one I did by myself.  Not so.  It was SO windy that while boarding the plane, people were losing their balance because the plane was rocking so much.  Seriously--not exaggerating!  Motion-sick mommy was not a fan.  And just to make it even more fun, it was just as windy in Dallas and Houston.  (so ALL our take offs and landings were just awesome)  Did I mention that our flight left at noon and we didn't eat lunch?  What WERE we thinking?!?   BUT, we did get cuter pictures of Mailee on the plane!!  :)

Kaiden loved it that he got his own cup.

All of us.  Kids sleeping.....ahhhhh!

We are so glad we made the trip as Grandmom passed away on May 5.   What a blessing to spend some time with her before she left us.

We love you and miss you very much!!!
 

4 comments:

Emily said...

I am so thankful your trip down on your own went well. I am also glad she got to meet your sweet baby. I am so very sorry to hear that Gmom has moved on to heaven. I know how tough it can be, but at least there is no pain up there! Plus I am sure she is having a blast watching your babies grow from above!

The Ham Family said...

It's hard to read with tears in your eyes also. But I am glad that Gmom did get to meet and spend some time with Mailee as well as Kaiden.
Gigi

ATuggle said...

Indeed, hard to read this one. But it is a very sweet post, well done Lys.

GranSan said...

Thank you very much for making me cry all the way to work. But it was a very good post that needed to be documented