Saturday, September 20, 2008

Back to work...

...or vacation from all our physical labor in the yard?!

I just got word that we have a meeting Monday at the high school. Then we will have the remainder of Monday and Tuesday to recover and prepare at school. The kids will start back on Wednesday.

Lichar also has a meeting with his office staff (at his boss's house) on Monday. They will not be able to access their offices on Galveston for some time, but they are making plans to continue some of their studies in local clinics.

I can't really say things are back to normal yet, but we are getting there. The most annoying thing to me is trying to drive around town. Since most of the stop lights are still out, most intersections are now four way stops. (and it is amazing how no one knows how to follow those rules!) Some restaurants are open and if so they are advertising on the ply wood sitting on the street! Another inconvenience is that if something is open, they usually have limited hours. You can't count on anything being open, especially after about 7-8 pm. Seriously, how did we ever survive before electricity and 24 hour convenience stores??

The grocery store and gas station close to us are open, and I haven't seen long lines lately. I haven't been to the stores, but I hear they still don't have meat, milk, or many fresh produce. Since we'll be going back to work this week I will probably try to brave the store sometime tomorrow. But not to worry, we still have a nice stash that we brought back from Dallas.

We still count ourselves as lucky, we are one of the 48% of the area that has power. Last we heard our water was safe to drink again (although after being back for a day and thinking it was safe, the next day we heard we were again under boil water orders) We are still sticking with bottled water just to be safe! :)

We've picked up most of the yard. We still need to clean out flower beds (which are usually a mess anyway), the brick wall still lays in ruins and we still have back patio stuff in the kitchen. But after 3 days of hard labor, we took a rest today. I don't know about Lichar, but I definitely appreciate my job a lot more. I am not cut out for physical labor (which I blame partly on Dingetje!) :) Maybe before Thanksgiving I'll get the inside of the house cleaned up.

Andrew and Lys working on bricks. We are trying to get most of the mortar off just in case we decide to rebuild.


I thought this was cool. As we were working out in the backyard, I spotted this butterfly with wings that were still wet from coming out of the chrysalis. It was on the grass and I couldn't believe it survived Andrew mowing, Lichar edging and me chopping branches and picking up behind them.


I made a slide show of some other pictures we've taken around town, but slide.com isn't cooperating right now. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments: